Holy Trinity Anglican church is located on one of the loveliest sites in the village of St George. It is a testament to the people in the village who wished to worship according to the Anglican rite.
In 1954 a group led by Canon Appleyard of Grace Church met with 12 people and agreed to form a new church. At the next meeting a name was chosen, and we were twinned, under Rev Grant Darling with the parishes of St Marks’, and St David’s. During the next few months, a choir, Sunday school and Ladies guild were formed, and services were held in a school. The first service in the complete church was held on June 10, 1956, and the church was dedicated on October 12, 1956.
During the following dozen years the church continued to grow and develop under the leadership of various clergy. Membership had grown from the dozen members in 1954 to 48 families in 1968. The mortgage was paid and the parish became free of debt. On January 12, 1968 a service of consecration was held.
In 1966 the parish purchased a house on Main St, as a rectory and began to lobby the Diocese to become a single point parish.
From 1968-83 we were under the spiritual guidance of a priest in charge - usually a retired priest, who lived in the rectory and ministered to the parish.
1983-1991 was a significant time for the parish, a new rectory was built, and we were twinned with St Luke’s in Cambridge and the rector of St Luke’s, Paul Wheeler also became our rector and lived in the parish.
In 1987 we entered into an agreement with St. James in Paris - with an assisted curacy - Rev Ruth Mahady came to fill that role in 1987. Rev Brian Minaker and his family arrived in 1991. In 1995 we added Founders Hall and made the church accessible, and in 1998 Rev Sue McCullough came, followed by Rev Margaret Shortell in 2004, Presently, we have a part time clergy in Canon Mario Hryniewicz.
In 2001 a meditative garden was created as an oasis for the community and the parish continued its spiritual growth and changed the thrust of its outreach through the Rural Wellbeing team. This team worked to support Individuals in need of food, meals and those experiencing homelessness .
The deep sense of faith and abiding love of God is our shared heritage with those twelve people who gathered together in 1954 to lay the foundations of the parish.